Meet Captain Roz Edwards
1. What is your current appointment and what do you find most satisfying about it?
I’m the Corps Officer at Kingborough-Huon Corps in Tasmania. It’s a delight and what’s satisfying about this appointment is the location and its people. Kingborough is by the coast of southern Tasmania with ocean views from the beautiful windows of our building. Huonville is just a half-hour drive west, inland to the hills and valleys of picturesque rural Tasmania with all the country hospitality to go with it.
2. Away from the appointment – if that’s possible! – what do you do to relax or unwind?
I love the opportunity to go for drives with my husband, Bruce, to beautiful locations for walks and coffee. You don’t have to travel too far to find ocean views, open spaces and great hospitality.
3. What’s a favourite Christian song, and why do you like it?
At the moment it’s I Speak Jesus. This song covers everything for me. In a world of so many rules, regulations, guidelines, conflict and anxiety, the name of Jesus speaks power, healing and life, breaks every stronghold and shines through the shadows – ‘Declaring there is hope and there is freedom,/ I speak Jesus.’
4. If you could have a good talk with a biblical character apart from Jesus, who would it be and what would you talk about?
Mary, the mother of Jesus. What an incredible life! God chose this remarkably strong, resilient young woman to bear a child who would change the world forever. She lived through utter dependency on him.
5. If you were talking to a group of Salvationists and they asked if you recommended officership or not, what would you say?
Officership – wow! What a privilege and life-changing, challenging opportunity for growth. God calls all of us to love and serve people with the love of Jesus. You just have to say ‘yes’ and the places God will take you, you could never imagine. God opens doors when we say ‘yes’. I know this full well. There is nothing like frontline mission at the grassroots, with opportunities aplenty.