Meet Captain Chelsea Wilson
1. What is your current appointment and what do you find most satisfying about it?
I am currently a corps officer at Rockingham in WA with my husband Darrell, and we are going into our 14th year next year. I love being able to journey with people and show love to our community in my various roles. I am really loving seeing collaboration grow in both the community/social sector and across churches.
2. Away from the appointment (if that’s possible!), what do you do to relax or unwind?
I love to walk, run, go to the gym, read, be a part of a book club, and catch up with friends over good food.
3. What’s a favourite Christian song, and why do you like it?
The first song that comes to mind is Yet Not I but Through Christ in Me. I particularly like the line, ‘I labour on in weakness and rejoicing’. It is real. At times life can be tiring, but I continue to have hope and gratitude for God.
4. If you could have a good talk with a biblical character apart from Jesus, who would it be, and what would you talk about?
The person who comes to mind is Mary, Jesus’ mother. I think I would want to talk about motherhood and what raising her family was like.
5. If you were talking to a group of Salvationists and they asked if you recommended officership or not, what would you say?
I love what I do. I spend most days alongside people who are vulnerable and in hardship; I can be a listening ear and a person of support. I love being able to bring hope to people and let them know they are valuable.