Meet Major Catherine Spiller
1. What is your current appointment and what do you find most satisfying about it?
I am the Coursework Coordinator at Eva Burrows College. I love learning and wrestling with how to live out my faith in a rapidly changing world. Being able to support students on their learning journey is a real privilege.
2. Away from the appointment (if that’s possible!) what do you do to relax or unwind?
I love reading, movie nights with my family, baking, and exploring new places on holidays.
3. What’s a favourite Christian song and why do you like it?
Your Grace Still Amazes Me by Phillips, Craig and Dean. The words of this song capture the awe I feel when I reflect upon the grace of God. I truly am amazed by God’s grace.
4. If you could have a good talk with a biblical character apart from Jesus, who would it be and what would you talk about?
I would love to spend some time chatting with Amos. I am fascinated by the Old Testament prophets and the gutsy ways they proclaimed God’s justice and grace despite the opposition they faced. I would want to talk to Amos, particularly about chapter five of his book in the Bible and the connection that is made between justice and worship.
5. If you were talking to a group of Salvationists and they asked if you recommended officership or not, what would you say?
Officership, like any other vocation, certainly has its ups and downs. When I consider my officership journey to date I am grateful for the people I have met along the way. It is a sacred privilege to meet people where they are and to become a part of their journey. I am also grateful for the many opportunities I have had to serve in a variety of roles in corps and at the college.
Interview by Major Mal Davies