top of page

Tribute for Major Elaine Redwood



To read Elaine’s Promoted to Glory notice, click here


In 1957, Elaine and her husband Bill entered The Salvation Army Training College from the Enfield Corps, joining the cadet session named ‘Faithful.’ 

 

Their first appointment was as corps officers to Laidley, followed by Nanango, Macksville, Woodburn, Mullumbimby, Helidon, Kingaroy, Swansea, Bathurst and Wellington Corps. In 1972, Bill was appointed to the Finance Department at Territorial Headquarters in Sydney, leaving Elaine with the choice of what avenue her ministry would take.

 

Elaine soon found two avenues of ministry, the first was to mark Corps Cadet papers for the Sydney Central Division, where she took a keen interest in the lives of the students whose papers she marked.  Later, whilst working in Community Care Ministries, she again contributed to the education of many volunteers marking papers as part of her contribution to that department.

 

She also found a ministry in League of Mercy visitation at the Western Suburbs Hospital. This led to her completing the chaplaincy courses and extended hospital chaplaincy. During her time as a hospital chaplain, she visited Concord Repatriation Hospital, Mater Mothers, Mount Olivet and Greenslopes Hospitals in Brisbane and later, back to Concord Repatriation and Sydney Eye Hospitals. Following retirement in 1999, Elaine continued her hospital chaplaincy visitation until 2013. Her ministry in the hospitals was greatly appreciated.

 

Throughout her officership, Elaine showed strength, determination and care for those in need.

 

Comments


bottom of page